Re: Sega Star Trek power strapping

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 03:48:15 EDT

We used to have an Eliminator at the local Showbiz Pizza that we
strapped 2 to 4 (sort of a 120 volt winding) to stop from blowing the
monitor. Our line voltage was in the 125 to 130 volt range.

The voltages on that game are strange. The 100 volt connection is for
Japan, the 110 for USA (never mind the fact that the standard here for
at least a couple of decades was 117 and these days is assumed to be
120). The 220 must be for the European market.

The only concern I had at the time was that the wire in the transformer
between terminals 3 and 4 might be thinner and not be able to handle the
current, but we didn't have a problem with it back then. But we didn't
keep the game very long, either.

Another way to handle this is to get a transformer from Radio Shack (a
couple of Amp capability will do) and use it to buck out the extra
voltage. You connect the primary to the incoming 120 volts and connect
the secondary in series with one of the game's transformer leads AFTER
CHECKING THE PHASING FIRST! A 12 volt transformer could buck 122 down
to 110, the 18 volt model will buck 128 down to 110. But connect it
phased wrong and instead of having it subtract 12 or 18 volts it will
add it! That would be a very bad thing.