RE: Covering burn in (was RE: Picture tube re-builder?)

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 16:40:50 EDT

> > CRT I've cracked, shot, and generally broken hasn't done much > more
> than spit > some broken glass a few feet in a most anti-climactic
> manner. > I've dropped > glasses in the kitchen with more spectacular
> results! > > Anyone here *tried* to break the front face of an old 19"
> > monitor with a > hammer? (I have. ;-)

> This comment brought back flashbacks of when I was seven up in my
> Uncles barn. He had about 7 TVs and my cousins and I took some
> hammers and smashed all their tubes in. None of them really did
> anything "menacing" or remotely scary. I can still remember to this
> day hearing my Uncle yell "You kids better not be messing with those
> TVs! I'm gonna fix those someday!"

I threw a rock at an old 25" TV Console and it blew out the back of the TV
- ripped the wood off the back and demolished everything inside. Glass
everywhere.

But what's odd - when I upgraded my Asteroids picture tube, I was carrying
the old picture tube out to the curb for recycling and it slpped out of my
hands and hit the ground. I turned around to avoid being nailed by a huge
explosion and it didn't do much of anything. I'm not even sure I could
tell the difference between a bunch of glass breaking and this
implosion. I didn't even get hit..

-->Neil