Re: Covering burn in (was RE: Picture tube re-builder?)

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 16:35:44 EDT

Many years ago our Canadian Standards Association used to have a booth at
the large Toronto Exhibition (CNE) where they had a picture tube supported
in a frame in a large glass box. They would then remotely swing a sled
hammer at the screen...gave one a whole lot of respect for implosions!
Glass went flying out the rear and sides and bounced off the inside walls
of the display booth glass shield...

Modern tubes are much safer, this was back in the days when thick glass
screens were the exception, not the rule for TV's.

John :-#)#