Re: War of the Worlds marquees

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 17:34:15 EDT

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:53:08 -0700, Matt Rossiter <rossiter@ni.net> wrote:

>How hard is it to find a War of the Worlds? I've seen quite a few rare games,
>but I've never seen that one. Does it use the color wells gardner monitor like
>Boxing Bugs?

A few seem to have popped up. I think I've heard of at least three of them. I
was told by an ex-employee they never went into production. Though they did
seem to have made a few field test machines. They were all converted Star
Castles. They added hacks to the Star Castle sound board to change the way they
sounded, and the way they were triggered. (The hacks are documented at
www.zonn.com/Cinematronics, and maybe on Spies if Al ever grabbed them.)

The software was written to work on a Boxing Bugs color display, and looks real
cool when run on one. Though all the hacked versions used for market test have,
so far, used the Star Castle B&W monitor. (When color games are played on B&W
monitors, all the vectors are simply displayed as "bright".)

It's the coolest attract mode of all the Cinematronics games (you can see it on
an emulator that supports Cinematronics games), but unfortunately the game play
kinda sucks.

Tom's marquee, at least from the .jpg's, looks perfect!

-Zonn