? about Vectorbeam Space War

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 12:08:32 EDT

Hi everyone, yesterday was a good day for a road trip. I made a 3 hour trip
from Hampton, VA to Vienna Va. to buy a Vectorbeam Space War upright from
Juan Alvarez . The game is in good condition but has a monitor problem. He
already had the monitor out of the cabinet to repair and I believe he had
replaced 2 of the deflection transistors and they all tested good now but
that's all I know. Even with the monitor out of the cabinet it was a job
getting it up the stairs. Yes, it was in the basement. I got the game home
(didn't get rained on this time) and as he said the game powers up and plays
blind, all sounds and controls appear to be working. Next I put the monitor
on the operating table (the one I brought my Asteroid's game back to life on
:-). The monitor is a Vectorbeam copyright 1978, 80-2001, SN 042-058. The two
heatsink on the side of the monitor have an ECG 284 & ECG 285 and the other
has an NTE 284 & NTE 285 but I have not tested them yet. Their is an empty IC
socket U7 next to one of the DAC. From my research so far I believe it should
have an 7406 which is an IC inverter package? Maybe this is why the monitor
doesn't work? I down loaded the schematics from Spies but I am having trouble
reading them. The component values seem to be blurred together and for the
most part unreadable. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone got a better
copy? An original? I have already looked at the Cinematronics FAQ also on
Spies and that looks like it will be a big help but if any one can add
anything else I should check before I hook it up and hope I don't get a
repeat of the forth of July fireworks display. As always your help is really
appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam