TECH : Upgrading Vectrex beam blanking

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 16:01:46 EDT

hi all.

I pulled my vectrex apart today to work out what i need to make a cap kit,
and at the same time to see if i can speed up the blanking circuit so that
asteroids and battlezone look clser to being playable on it.. (currently in
use as a test-rig monitor only.)

I've been looking at the vectrex schematics and the z amplifier consists
primarily of 3 transistors, 2sc1921, 2n3904 and 2n3905.

Considering my main aim is to speed the blanking up, are there components
with quicker response times that i can install that would cope better with
a fast atari vector signal? I'm not too sure what to look for in the
datasheets to substitute with a faster equivalent...

can anybody help? page 37 in the PDF file of the vectrex service manual has
the exact circuit i'm looking at..

thanks for any help recieved!!

Andy Welburn