Synthcom up and running again

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 00:18:31 EDT

Synthcom is back up and running under the new OS (FreeBSD 4.4 prerelease),
seemingly flawlessly. The second CPU came on line, the additional storage
I put in it, the dialin lines, web service, POP3, etc... all appear to be
working fine. I have not yet restored FTP service - wu-ftp is a pain to
configure compared to the default FTP server that comes with FreeBSD.
Dialup users - the firewall is also still in place and is working as
expected.

I have not yet moved Dynarec.com over to Synthcom - that's coming!

As a plus, Majordomo decided to start sending out administrative messages
again (yipee!!) - something that no one, not even the author of Majordomo,
could figure out why!

Everything on Synthcom is now backed up and you'll probably notice that
the system is a bit more responsive than before. I've enabled write
caching on the disks.

I'm going to take the machine down one last time tonight (later) to
install a bunch of fans to get better airflow across the hard drives. They
are getting hot enough that they can't be held or touched for any length
of time, and I'd like to avoid premature failure.

Let me know if you see anything weird.

-->Neil