Re: Question about blackened edge connectors...

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 10:47:08 EDT

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Andy Welburn wrote:
>
> > Why don't people just disable the sense ?
> >
> > This way, the edge connector wont burn up damaging the edge foils..
>
> I'm missing something here -- how does the sense CAUSE the connector to
burn
> ? I thought the burnt connector is what caused the sense to become the
> supply.

the sense senses (incorrectly) the voltage getting to the board so it cranks
up the voltage, the higher the voltage on dirty contacts the more likely it
is to burn and lift the foil.

I wrote an article about the AR2 for a fanzine here in the UK, it is all
about the AR2 and i go into the reasons why I think the sense lines should
be disabled...

I might not be 100% technically correct, but it follows my observations and
i have drawn my own conclusions and explained it how i see it :)

http://www.warlords.thedvdproject.com/ar2.txt

the document isn't word wrapped and will show up funny in your browser, save
the text to disk and open with notepad is probably the best option.. if you
want the figure drawing its a small jpeg i can email you if need be :) For
the mag, i supply text and its flowed into the columns and stuff
automatically :)

hope it helps some of you to understand the nature of the whole atari sense
line discussion.. :)

Andy