Re: more tube questions.

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 02:18:50 EDT

peter jones wrote:

>what was the tube type in the sega G08???
>
>also what is the type? 90' or 110' or something else?
>
>i want to fit a G08 yoke onto a different tube,
>the first tube of choice is a WG 25" tube from a sega virtua-racing cab,
>the second choice is a good-old G07 i have spare from a missile command.
>
>i need to get this problem sorted so i can try to design my new HT box.
>
>on that subject, someone was talking about making one with a k7000 transformer.
>they said it could connect directly to the (u.s.) mains because the Lopt
>provided the isolation.
>
>if you are reading this - NO IT WONT! Lopt's can go primary>secondary short,
>YOU MUST USE AN ISOLATION TRANSFORMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES IT CAN!

First of all, that's what fuses are for and the design I proposed was,
of course, fused.

Secondly, if the transformer shorts from primary to secondary it isn't
going to work it ANY configuration. The primary isn't normally run at
ground and the secondaries are almost always ground referenced. I'd
rather see it quickly blow some fuses than sit there and overheat due to
shorted windings.

In any case there is nothing keeping anyone from using an isolation
transformer.