Re: Anybody done John's Raster Hack for Ampliphone?

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 01:41:30 EDT

Hi Greg (et all),

Sounds like something here is wrong...what do you mean about "I clipped a 3
(5?) Watt carbon resistor's leads and soldered one to each of those two
wires"? I don't recall adding any resistors to either the Focus or Screen
lines. As I recall the Focus wire goes directly to the socket pin #1, and
the Screen line goes to the terminal on the tube socket that originally
connected to the wiper of the Screen Potentiometer that was mounted on the
neck board (removed now).

My question is about the heater lines. Did you hook them up to the correct
pins on the tube? There needs to be a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor in series to
reduce the inrush current to the tube (lengthens the filament life). You
should get 6.3VAC across the pins on the back of the neckboard on the
filaments pins to the tube socket. Check there. If not present do a
continuity test with the neckboard unplugged (power off!) - you should see
something like 1 to 20 ohms I expect. It should not be an open circuit.

Next check the same circuit with the neckboard plugged in, the resistance
should be much lower as you have added the picture tube heater in parallel...

John :-#)#