Re: 4 Player Eliminator Problem

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 14:54:03 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Thomas43@aol.com>
To: <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 3:24 PM
Subject: VECTOR: 4 Player Eliminator Problem

> I'm having a problem with a 4 player Eliminator I am trying to get ready
for
> this years California Extreme. No, it's not the monitor ;-)
>
> When I power up the game. It displays the first frame of the attract mode
> and then freezes. It passes all the self tests, except I am not able to
get
> the player 3 and 4 controls to register in the controls test. (I'm sure
that
> is a problem with the player 3 and 4 interface board.)
>
> I have swapped in another ROM board, another set of X-Y boards, removed
the
> sound board, swapped CPU cards and I have even tried another card cage.
Does
> anyone have any more suggestions? Does anyone have a spare 4 player
Special
> Chip?

I'd figure out what's wrong with the player 3/4 interface board. There is
some special switching done with the coins on that board, and freezing
screens is typically a result of something like a coin switch, reset switch,
or service switch being stuck on. Do the player 3/4 coins work correctly?

Also, when I was first getting my Elim 4-player working, I'd get a self test
pass on the EPROMs, but I *still* got a screwed up picture with known good
XY pair. After cleaning and replacing some of the EPROMs, I got the self
test to pass and the picture was fixed as well.

--
Mark Jenison