Re: Battlezone marque

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_ele-mental.org>
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 20:12:28 EDT

On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 01:24 AM, Matt Rossiter wrote:

> I have both battlezones. I think the silver one came later. I
> would look at the side art and see which marquee matches better
> because the side arts were slightly different too.
> Personally, I like the less silvery one. It's more how I
> remember it.

I also like the grey better than the silver. That's two votes
for grey. ;-)

> I like the later battlezone versions though because the tank
> accelleration sounds better and more reallistic. Is that just
> a software difference?

Early Battlezones allowed you to adjust the "RPM" of the tank's
engine by turning a small knob on the Aux board. Later BZs
replaced this knob with a fixed resistor. I'm sure operators
didn't bother adjusting it properly and left it as-is; that's
probably why you remember the older games sounding "wrong."

I'm surprised Atari left what is clearly a game design decision
for the operators to mess with.

> Matt
> Hendrix, Jeff wrote:
>
>> I have 2 battlezone front pieces (or whatever it is that you
>> call it) and
>> they each have a different marque in them.
>> One of them has gray for the mountain and part of the words,
>> etc. while the
>> other one has silver.
>> Which one was more popular and when did atari switch?
>> (I'm trying to decide which one to put on my machine)
>>
>> -jeff
>> direct other
>> ** questions, comments, or problems to vectorlist-owner@synthcom.com.

Anthony Ramos -- aramos@ele-mental.org / aramos@hyperreal.org
phone: 503.236.6303 / mobile: 503.267.3519
600 Southeast 39th Avenue #3, Portland, Oregon 97214 USA