Re: g05 v2000 spot killer problems

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 14:43:13 EDT

James G Watt wrote:

>I've got 2 monitors both with malfunctioning spot killers. It was
>sugested to me that I replace all the transistors in the spotkiller
>circuit to get rid of the problem. Having some trouble finding the
>transistors though.
>
>G05 Spot Killer. This spot killer activates continually. When I disable
>the circuit the monitor works perfectly:
>
>Q500 (NPN) TPS 98 NTE194 is this right? (2SC2240) RS: 197-9828

I would tend to say MPSA42 is the best Radio Shack replacement.

>Q501 (NPN) TPS 98 NTE194 --
>Q502 (PNP) 2n3906 NTE159 RS: 294-328
>Q503 (NPN) MPSU03 2SA1306B ??
>Q504 (NPN) MPSU03 2SC3298B ??
>

>V2000 Spot Killer. This spot killer appears to work correctly except it
>is to sensitive. When playing asteroids everything's fine until you get
>to the last asteroid. When the screen is empty like that the spotkiller
>starts to activate intermittently.

You might try adjusting centering IF there are centering pots on the
game board. The object here is to have the spot killer work off the
small amounts of signal present to the spot killer when items are only
being drawn in one quadrant. The score display alone should keep the
horizontal axis alive, so you would need to LOWER the picture slightly
to satisfy the vertical spot killer. The display can then be moved back
up using the centering rings, if desired.

>Q500 (NPN) TPS 98 NTE194 --
>Q501 (NPN) TPS 98 NTE194 --
>Q502 (PNP) MPSA56 NTE159 is this right? (2n3906) RS: 294-328

I'd go with 2N5401.