Another WG6100 problem child

From: Chris Starr <cstarr_at_capu.net>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 02:03:18 EDT

I'm sure someone here can quickly point me in the right direction so I can
go away and stop bothering people... My Space Duel monitor is a WG6102. The
spot killer light is on. I can't figure out why from using the standard
troubleshooting procedure.

Here is what I have done:

1) Properly instlalled the LV2000 modification. Getting good low voltages
with no problems.
2) Recapped the both the HV board and the driver board.
3) Replaced and put new heat sink insulators on all of the chassis mounted
driver transistors ( they all read infinite resistance with respect to
ground. )
4) The Vector generator board is sending out the correct signals. I'm
getting a great picture on my X-Y scope, and can actually play the game with
the scope just fine. X and Y BIPs are set fine.
5) Retouched all of the solder joints on all of the connectors, there are no
cracks to be found.
6) Checked all of the tantalum caps in the spot killer circuit all were ok.
7) I did a cursory check of the transistors in the spot killer circuit. they
"seemed" ok when I did the diode check on my vom.
8) Checked the BU409 and BU207 on the HV. They "seemed" fine with the diode
check on the vom. Does anyone have a better method of checking these out?
9) I don't hear the HV "whine" or crackles, will this occur even if the spot
killer is on?

Any recommendations on where to probe first? Also I have a question about
when the the spot killer is running, what circuits does it turn off? Should
I still see the "Video B+" (181 volts) that comes from the HV transformer
when the spot killer is on?

Thanks everyone.
c-starr