slightly off-topic: switch de-bouncing

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_ele-mental.org>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 16:07:02 EDT

With the goal of using only existing hardware, I've built a TTL multi-game
switcher. When you hold down both start buttons simultaneously, it cycles to
the next game.

The switcher works well, but there is a bounce problem. When you press the
buttons, it sometimes advances one game, sometimes two or three. Apparently
I need to improve the "de-bouncing" of the start buttons.

I originally posted this question in rgvac. Some EE professionals weighed in
with lofty analysis and convoluted arguments over the best solution. But
that "Clash Of The Titans" left me with nothing I could really use.

So, I humbly present the existing circuit to you:

                +5v

                | |
                \ \
                / / 1K
                \ \
                / / LS02
Start 1 []------+-----/\/\/\/--+--------|>o-------|~~~\
                   | | |LS04|-- output pulse
Start 2 []---------+--/\/\/\/------+----|>o-------|___/
                               | |
                               - - .1µF
                               - -
                               | |
                              === ===
                               = =

I don't want to program a PIC or some other ridiculous overkill. Please tell
me, IN ENGLISH, what I need to do. Thank you!!

-Anthony

--
Anthony Ramos________
600 SE 39th Ave., # 3  \__ aramos@ele-mental.org .. aramos@hyperreal.org