Universal Sound Boards

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 22:42:34 EST

Hi all,

I've got a pile of Sega Universal Sound Boards from Tac/Scan and Star Trek
on my work bench here with a bunch of different problems and I was wondering
if I could get some advice from some of the people on this list that
understand sound boards a bit better than I do.

Is the sound data for these boards loaded at "boot" time and kept on the
Universal Sound Board, or is the data for the sounds loaded each time the
sound is used?

What is a common failure on these boards?

What problems would cause the following symptoms:
1) Only static is output
2) Last note of certains sounds stick
3) Wrong sound is played

Is there anyway to trigger the sounds manually using a logic pulser (instead
of having to play the game or go through test mode)?

Any additional advice for repairing these boards, common solutions, or
debugging tips would be appreciated. I've been using the Star Trek manual
to figure out which sounds come from which channels, and I have all the
channels mapped to components, but not sure how to tell which component is
suspect.

Thanks!

--
Mark Jenison