Re: Atari B&W: no HV

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_augustmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 20:29:58 EST

> >I'm curious how shorting the anode to the chassis will damage the HV
rectifier.
> >(Assuming the unit is powered down at the time of the short).
>
> I haven't looked into the HV section of the B&W monitors, but if there is
a HV
> filter capacitor, of any type, attached to the cathode side of the diode,
then
> discharging the CRT will also discharge the filter capacitor through the
diode.

Ok, to qualify the question further; assuming:
A) The unit is powered down
B) There are no filters on the cathode side of the HV rectifier*

* - I can't recall ever seeing a filter on the cathode side of the HV
rectifier
on any of the B&W vector monitors or any of the golden age B&W rasters.

In fact, I was under the impression that the second anode filter was the
CRT's
carbon coating, itself.

Roger, any thoughts?

-Mark