Re: Asteriods losing voltage

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:02:53 EST

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, John Robertson wrote:

> Dean, your edge connector on either the board, the card edge connector, or
> BOTH is/are toasted. The Vcc or Vdd (common) contacts are burnt and not
> passing enough current to bring the 5VDC on the MPU up to snuff. I suspect
> the edge connector is getting hot to the touch....
>
> What we used to do is to jumper the burnt out wires to the MPU directly
> using a interconnect plug (like a car trailer plug set) so the board could
> be removed for service. Purists add a very short extension card to the MPU
> and replace the card edge connector.

I hope that "used to do" statement means "We don't do stuff like that
anymore" ;-) Some people like to use their cabinets to test other boards
and don't want to have to hack their boards for testing purposes.

Replace the edge connector and repair the board edge as best as
possible. Edge or molex connector pins can be bent and soldered over
burnt edge pins without too much trouble if you don't want to go to the
trouble of completely grafting on a whole new extension card.

--
Mark Jenison