Re: Asteriods losing voltage

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 11:45:34 EST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, John Robertson wrote:

> Bending stuff over the edge connector is a certain way of ruining the card
> edge connector pins, they can't recover from the larger pin size. It is
> much better to extend the edge connector with new card material, and
> replace the card edge connector plug.

Well, anything where you take the time and do it nicely can be done. That
solution I only use when an entire pin has been burnt off but the rest of
the pins are fine, and it normally requires some work to get the pin down
to a reasonable level (sometimes a little work with the dremel).

I agree shoving an edge pin with a huge solder blob into an edge connector
is a Bad Thing(tm). :-)

> John :-#)#
>
> At 10:02 AM 12/11/01, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, John Robertson wrote:
> >
> > > Dean, your edge connector on either the board, the card edge
> > connector, or
> > > BOTH is/are toasted. The Vcc or Vdd (common) contacts are burnt and not
> > > passing enough current to bring the 5VDC on the MPU up to snuff. I suspect
> > > the edge connector is getting hot to the touch....
> >Replace the edge connector and repair the board edge as best as
> >possible. Edge or molex connector pins can be bent and soldered over
> >burnt edge pins without too much trouble if you don't want to go to the
> >trouble of completely grafting on a whole new extension card.
> >
> >--
> >Mark Jenison

Mark Jenison