Re: New Tempest spinners

From: someotherguy <someotherguy_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 08:37:23 EST

The overall look of them is very similar to the original knob. In my
opinion, he cheaped out - one of the set screws is functional, and the other
is just for 'looks.' In other words the hole is only drilled in the
plastic, not through the sleeve, and the set screw in it is a dummy. I
don't understand why one wouldn't take the few extra minutes effort to drill
& tap the second hole, even if it meant adding a few dollars to the final
cost of the item. I haven't installed one yet but I am a little concerned
about getting it on the shaft without being lopsided, considering the lack
of one of the set screws. My first temptation is to save them for spares in
case I have a machine I need to sell. : (

Not to totally bash the item...the upside is, the skirt around the spinner
maintains a constant thickness all the way down to the base, instead of
being thin on the underside like the original. Presuming the material he
used is tough, I figure these much less likely to have the skirt break off.

Richard