Re: Star Wars Help, Amplifone cap kit ?

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 15:12:51 EST

Happy New Year everyone. I am now installing a Bob Robert's Amplifone Basic
Cap Kit and have a few questions about it that I thought some of you may have
run across before. First I would like to thank Michael Kelly and everyone
that helped him with the Amplifone HV Guide 1.1. It has been a great help.
Anyone know if he ever did a guide for the Amplifone deflection board? My
first question is about the HV board. C1 and C2 have 470uf @50V cap installed
on the board. Michael Kelley's guide suggests using 470uf @ 100 V but the cap
kit replaces them with 1000uf @50v. So what should I do, use the 1000uf in
the kit or go with the 470uf @100V?
The other question about the cap kit deals with the deflection board. The cap
kit lists C7/C8/C9/C10 as 1uf @50V but has the following note" These are
included as they are in other kits, but my personal recommendation would be
to leave the originals." Why is this? The ones on the board look like the
caps in the kit. Maybe someone had already changed them. Is this bad? Should
I change them? I am glad I decided to go though the deflection board as
someone had replaced the output transistors, 2 of which were different
numbers but correct replacements,and when I removed them they had put new
mica insulators under them but did not use any heat sink compound, the were
dry as a bone. Once I get the caps sorted out I plain on testing it but I
don't have hi hopes of it working as it has a red is dead transformer but I
figure it cant hurt to try it before I call for a new WinTron.
Thanks for reading and the help.
Sam,
In Virginia
http://members.aol.com/severlander/index.html