Major Havoc crystal revisited (& sound question)

From: Joe Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 00:29:11 EST

Screwing around with a couple of Major Havoc boards, I'm running a Space
Duel conversion (actually a Gravitar). The manual says that the crystal
at Y1 should be 10.0000, and at Y2 should be a 8.0000. Both my Y2's are
8.0000, but one Y1 has a 9.2160, and the other has an 8.96875. The
latter, unless soldered in by someone with great skills, really looks
like it came stock. The first was definitely modified.

I know there was discussion here that determined the only difference
between a dedicated and a conversion Major Havoc PCB was the crystal
speed (and a notch in the pinouts). I looked through the manual and
schematics and both (Tempest and Space Duel) conversion manuals, but
only find the above references. Can someone tell me what the conversion
crystals should be, and where this is documented?

The Space Duel conversion manual points to a "CO-252-03 Major Havoc
Conversion PCB Supplement", but I don't have that, and I didn't find it
at SPIES or Stormaster. Any chance someone could scan that one and
donate to Spies or Stormaster? (It also mentions a "CO-252-05 Major
Havoc Encoder Wheel Supplement" that I'd like to get if you happen to
have it.)

Lastly, can anyone do a self test and tell me if they get a sound for
sound #17? I get all the other sounds, and I turned the volume all the
way up and still don't get one on 17. Thanks,

Joe
joemagiera atsign ameritech.net