Re: Diagnosing a dead Asteroids board - questions

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 04:50:18 EST

>Yup, that's a dead one all right. Did you replace the CPU with a
>6502A? A regular 6502 won't cut it here.

Yup, most definitely a 6502A (I also verified this worked by putting it
into my good Asteroids board).

>high enough to blow the emitters out of them. Once that was done the
>solenoid power went backwards through layers of IC until it got to the
>processor buss. Took me 22 ICs to fix that.

Ewwwww - nasty! I have a horrible feeling that I may have quite a few more
fried components given the amount of faults I've found so far, so this one
could be a pig to fix especially given my relative lack of knowledge.

I have a logic probe on order, so that should at least help a bit.

I don't suppose anyone has an Atari CAT Box they can loan me ....... ? ;)

Phil