Asteroids - problem with explosions and a fix

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 15:32:25 EST

Back in 1999 (yes, THAT long ago!) a question was posted here by Chris
Loggans regarding asteroids not displaying the correct explosion graphics
but instead displaying a solid line. The full details of the original
problem can be seen here:

http://www.arlo.net/vectorlist/archive/9912/0058.html

Well, I also had that problem on a revision 2 Asteroids board, and I've
fixed it.

The problem was with the X & Y Position Counters, ie the 74LS191's. In my
case I was getting the odd vertical AND horizontal line of varying lengths.
I eventually nailed it down to two of the 191's namely those at D9 and H9
(on later boards, Rev 5 for example, this will be positions D10 and H10).
Replacing them has fixed the problem. On my board at least. :-)

Now all I've got to do is find out why the main ship displays a really
short line when pointing left - that'll no doubt be another counter, or a

Phil