Re: Star Wars control panel overlay

From: Tom Cloud <computerspace_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 14:38:32 EST

Mark's comment is correct.  Attached (actually pasted in) is an email I rec'd some years ago from Mike Jang. Mike worked at Atari designing cabinets. In my conversation with him in this email I was talking to him about Starship 1, but read down to the bottom of the message...he mentions the Star Wars bezel. In regards to the overlay, it might be bent at a different angle for the cockpit, but the part it bolts up to is the same.  Thought this might interest some of you....

Regards,

Tom Cloud

Tom
Thanks for the compliments on my design.  I thought about that blue bezel
question and  you've got me stumped.  At the U.S. factory, that bezel was
made in white for Starship1 and black for a game called Sky Raider.
SkyRaider was a jet bomber game, in the same cabinet, just modified w/
color changes.  That leaves 2 other possibilities, 1- it was painted after
it left the factory.  Is it blue color on the back side also?  Those parts
were molded in colored plastic.
2- The bezel may have been made in the Ireland factory, where we did not
have alot of design control.  In those days, the particle board used in the
Ireland cabinets was of a much lower density.  They were much flakier
looking, and often broke apart.  Being as your game came from MA, it could
be a possibility.

Too bad about the side graphics, that cabinet had graphics silkscreened
directly on the wood- right?  There was a large room, looked like a
refrigerator inside where games were laid on their sides, and silkscreened.
 The fumes were unbelievable in there! (pre EPA years)

As to what cabinets I designed, the question should be which ones didn't I
design.  I worked there almost 20 years, the later years as a design
manager.  Now, if Atari/Williams would go under, I think I could publish a
nice book with all the original conceptual sketches of those now famous
cabinets.
Did you notice the starwars sitdown and upright cabinet use the same
plastic bezel?

I ran across the arcade newsgroup by accident last month.  I'm glad these
games have become collectors items.  Those pioneer years shouldn't be
forgotten.
regards,
Mike