Re: What monitor is in an original Japanese Taito Asteroids cocktail?

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 11:21:01 EST

I do (did) use the Hoei XY B&W monitor for my test fixture until the output
transformer broke. Now I am going to experiment with making a "universal"
B&W monitor. That is a monitor that does both raster and vector. I suspect
that I can drive the raster yoke with the drivers used in the Hoei - they
are audio amp modules - and shall report back with success (or lack
thereof). The reason I want to use a raster monitor base is it will
simplify my test fixture by one monitor.

I have (on the back of my mind) the thought of making a universal COLOUR
monitor using the same circuits....should work as my raster hack for the HV
of a vector monitor worked, but the drive strength may not be enough to run
anything bigger than a 15" tube. Still more than enough for my test
fixture! Then I can have raster colour/B&W, and vector colour/B&W in one
monitor.

John :-#)#