Star Wars Death Star explosion - Ground and 5V jumper cables

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 07:20:34 EDT

My Star Wars with the 25" Amplifone in it always had the screen
size increase briefly on the Death Star explosion scene, like I've
seen mentioned here quite a few times!
I had assumed it was probably the HV regulation but not thought much about it.

I was giving my machine a general going-over and thought I'd better
do what John Robertson (thanks John!) often mentioned, which was to
run 5V and GND cables directly between the ARII and the game boards,
and also run a ground cable between the game board and monitor
(or similar, and also to help WG monitors or any game really, esp. Atari)

I made the following modifications, and the picture is now rock steady
and I've lost a bit of horizontal shake also that it occasionally had, it's great.

    5V and GND cables between ARII and game boards (with 2pin connector inline).
    5V and GND wires between main and avg boards (may as well), done on the heavy
               tracks right near the edge connectors.
    GND wire with inline connector between monitor GND and game boards GND.
               (done on X or Y GND wire into deflection board)

Other mods:
    Jumper wired +Sense on ARII to 5V out of ARII )bypasses overvoltage
    Jumper wired -Sense on ARII to GND out of ARII )'frying' problem with age
    Placed 5V6 5W protection zener across 5V and GND out of ARII
     (after checking adjustment on bench below 5V)
    Adjusted ARII for 5.00V at game boards after reconnection

I can't say for sure but I think a reasonable amount of audio hum is gone also.

Cheers,

Marc