Tempest WG6101

From: Gregory S . Erway <gerway_at_redcom.com>
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:45:20 EDT

I just added a new Tempest to my collection again. This baby is near mint.
The serial number is #00097! Super nice find and has been in owned by a
non-collector for 17 years. The monitor died over 10 years ago and it has
sat in a closet every since. I finally talked the guy out of it yesterday
after 2 years of trying. I didn't realize the serial number until I got it
home. And the game had a full set of schematics and manuals inside. Even the
locks on the game are origional.

The WG6101 appears to have issues. Most obviously the screen is black and
the game plays blind. Once in a while you actually see colors in the lower
right corner of the screen although the image appears to be very out of focus.
The board appears to have a couple burnt up resistors (R100 and R102 if I
remember right). I plan on buying a cap kit obviously before turning it back
on. I have heard that most likely the problem is in the low voltage section.
I have also been told about a LV2000 kit that I should get. I have no idea
where these can be attained. Are they still for sale? The person that referred
me to the kit said the link he had is now dead.

I was going to either order a Zanen or Bob Roberts kit. But I'm not set on
this and would like to get all the parts I will most probably need before
starting work. If anyone has any suggestions as to where the LV2000 can be
found, which cap kit source is best (I've order other stuff in the past from
both), and any other thing you think I might need, I would very thankful.

I have been working on a 25" Amplifone in the past few weeks but have never
worked on a WG XY monitor.

Greg Erway