Re: Re: Bulk buy on Wintron flybacks

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 00:33:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2002 4:25:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmahan@xmission.com writes:

> Depending on how much of a price break you can get (If they're willing to
> knock $5 off then it really isn't worth it to me) I'd be willing to buy
> 2 or 3.
>
> Kurt

      I'm thinking you would save (at most) $10 per HVT in a bulk buy of 25.
I used to live in Bellefonte PA, (right next to where WinTron is located) and
actually went to WinTron a couple of times.
     According to Jeff (one of their engineers around 1997), it wasn't so
much the cost of parts that made the WinTron HVT expensive. It was that they
had to use pretty expensive labor to actually build them - we're talking
engineers in the 70k-85k range. The plant did not have a staff of under $7
per hour line workers to assemble things and ship them. WinTron could never
justify hiring them because they are primarily an engineering company that
usually has pretty low production runs.
     Certainly the parts cost to build a WinTron HVT would be only about 15%
of the price. However, if I remeber correctly, it took about 4 days to do a
production run of 50 units. This is not a giant mass-production plant. They
also tested each one for 12 hours before it ships. When you figure the cost
of the time, it becomes very clear why they are expensive.

     Sorry for the ramble, but everyone complains about the cost of these,
and has this feeling that they are being incestantly ripped off by WinTron. I
thought the above explanation would put things in perspective.

     Don't get me wong, I'm all for doing a bulk buy. (I could use 2 and
would prepay - having a couple extra ones around would never hurt). I'm also
in favor of someone producing an alternative and would buy these as well.

Michael Kelley