Cosmic Chasm Overlay update #91

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 10:48:51 EDT

Hi all,

David Shoemaker sent me his Cosmic Chasm control panel this week to help
with reproduction.

Here's the current scoop.

1) It's pretty much impossible to scan the overlay perfectly due to the
shape of the control panel. I have scanned it, but because you can't get
the top near enough to the scanning bed, unlike the rest of the overlay,
there is a quality difference between the two.

2) The overlay was printed with CMYK style? Close up, it you can see the
separate dots that make up the color. Unfortunately, touch ups and
joining of separate scans needs to be done, and it is impossible to keep
the CMYK look intact during these operations. Any editing pretty much
screws up the pattern and makes it look obvious.

For the reasons above, there is no way we're going to get an *EXACT*
repro (unless someone out there is holding back an unapplied NOS overlay
:-)).

So, the best I will be able to do is often an "artists rendition" of the
original art; take what scans I have, merge them, blend them, do touch up
and color matching with the original, etc...make them look like a nice
normal raster image, and have them digitally printed.

Unfortunately I'm not a graphic artist, but I gave my best shot at a
"preliminary draft" of the artwork. The bright side is that since
much of the merging was done at a 90 degree bend in the artwork, hopefully
the blending problems won't be noticed because it will be on the bend of
the control panel :-/

Anyway, here's a reduced pic for those with Cosmic Chasm overlays to look
at.

http://www.enteract.com/~jenison/pics/ccmini.jpg

There is some overlay at the bottom that did not get "merged". I have
scans of it, but didn't feel it was worth working on the very bottom
because it would take *lots* more additional merging, blending, color
matching, etc for a piece of art that cannot be seen by anyone anyway (the
very bottom is attached to a hinge)..

Looking at it again, I can see a few areas that I still need to touch
up. The top 1.5" could not be scanned properly, so I had to make that
from scratch. Again, however, it is completely covered by a metal piece
that holds down the control panel, so I suppose it's not critical.

Also, I filled in the button hole area completely with art. This is just
in case someone's hole alignment is slightly off. Again, it's not
perfect, but most of it should be removed/covered by the buttons anyway.

Comments, criticism, help appreciated.

--
Mark Jenison