Re: TRANSFORMER TESTER!!!

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 03:32:54 EDT

Not exactly news, I've had that manual up on my FBT/LOPT support page for
about three years.... and Bod Parker, the designer of the kit, has a link
on his support pages as well to a few very inexpensive FBT "ringer" style
testers (somewhere...I can't see them at the moment).
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/fbt.htm

The cheapest one is done with an old audio signal generator that many of us
will have lying around, warm up a scope, and connect the output or the
audio generator(15 - 19Khz) across the collector and ground of the HOT.
(Horizontal Output Transistor). Drive the output to around 0.7VAC and take
a look with the scope on any of the other output lines of the HV
transformer. They should be clean and look like the input. If distorted
then the transformer is probably shorted... or an output is shorted.

The kit is just convenient, and it works first time, every time...unless
you try it on a running monitor!

John :-#)#