asteroids question (another)

From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <vector_at_hawkmountain.net>
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 00:51:08 EDT

Thanks to everyone so far for info on this...

I have verified the power supply and audio regulator board to be working
(although moisture in the voltage adj pot had the voltage too high, I
probably should replace the pot, but I adjusted it for now to further
troubleshoot).

The mainboard is in a watchdog loop. I have a catbox, so this will probably
give me a good chance to really learn how to make use of it.

As for the monitor it is the G05-801. The monitor seems to have been
most affected by an obviously moist storage area. The bottom "plate"
of the monitor is flecked with rust, and screws that hold down the
monitor power supply board are rusty.

The worst of it is that it seems that the metal "strap" used for groudning
the monitor is rotted off (found a piece of it in the bottom of the game).
I don't see a wire floating around, but I assume that this strap is used
for grounding the back coating on the monitor tube.

What are the issues with this not being grounded...
I've seen some monitors (like amplifone) use a spring to ground that coating
to the monitor frame. Would that be one way of rectifying the rotted
off strap ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

  -- Curt