Blank screen Star wars

From: Biff <boffbiff_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 20:51:33 EDT

Hi

Just thought I would drop a few lines from a newbie to other newbies: -

Played star wars fine all week until the screen dropped out, smelt a burning
smell from the deflector section?

Powered down and checked fused etc.

Powered up all was fine for about 30 seconds then screen went blank again?

Ascertained that the cause of the smell was a very hot Power transistor
located on the monitor chassis to the right.

Disconnected this to see if it had gone short circuit, it was fine and so
were all the other transistors!

I let the thing cool down completely and powered up checking for voltages
etc, all were present until the screen went blank. I was about to strip the
thing down when I thought I had better check for dry joints (cheers X-Y) and
low the connections for another power transistor (not the one that got hot?)
were arcing as the metal had detrained on the collar that the pins push
through causing it to go open circuit.

The moral of the story is check the obvious 1st!!

Biff