Another reason to build an X/Y monitor

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 04:22:41 EDT

Well it's about time I post an update on the status of the PC->VG board we're
working on.

Some direct links to some pictures are:

  www.zektor.com/images/Board.jpg (118k)
  www.zektor.com/images/ScreenDark.jpg (50k)
  www.zektor.com/images/ScreenLight.jpg (120k)

Sorry about the sizes, but I'd tried to cut down as much as possible on the JPEG
artifacts.

The first picture is a picture of the evaluation board we've been using to test
our ideas.

The second picture is a close up of the X/Y monitor with the lights out.

And the third picture is a close up of the X/Y monitor with the lights on.

Currently only the Vector Generator is running. I've hooked up the HP X/Y
monitor to key points in the signal path to display the image shown. Still to be
tested are the pincushion correction and the edge bloom correction circuits, and
all the level shift circuits used to drive the different X/Y monitors. But
hopefully, that's the easy stuff!

The image shown has been compiled into the firmware. When finished the board
will be driven through a PC's parallel port, using the ECP mode. I'll probably
start by getting Cinemu to drive it. From there, full emulation of other vector
games will follow.

I'm guessing that we're only about 50% done.

The board you see is not the final product. (Note to those working with high
speed analog: Ground planes are essential! :-) The finished board should be a
bit smaller, with a few less pots.

We're trying desperately to get something ready for the CGE in Vegas!

For slightly more information go to: www.zektor.com and click on the ZVG link.

-Zonn

PS: So how's that new X/Y monitor coming along? ;-)