TECH: Battlezone Audio Problems

From: Commander Dave <cmdr-dave_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 05:44:08 EDT

I am currently working on a Battlezone boardset and found that on one of the AUX BD's there is practically no sound. Here are the symptoms:

1. During attract mode, you hear the "blips" when the enemy tank appears and the blip of the radar, but no other sound (except for a hum in the background).

2. I have the game board in free play mode. When you hit the start button, all sound stops (radar blips and all) and the hum almost goes away. There is no sound, but game is otherwise normal.

3. When I hit a high score and quickly put in some initials (AAA for example), I get a note or two of the 1812 overture.

4. I have checked voltages on the AUX BD, and it seems to be fine.

5. I have a working AUX BD, and the sound works, so I know it isn't on the main game board.

Anyone know where to start looking on this one? I have already reseated all the socketed chips and looked for any obvious problems, and reflowed solder around the board to board connector, but with no luck.

Thanks for any help,
-Commander Dave