RE: supplying power to a color vector monitor

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 13:09:30 EDT

        I think what you're describing would still isolate the secondary
from earth ground, which is exactly what an isolation transformer (or any
transformer for that matter) does -- the secondary(s) are floating with
respect to earth ground -- there is just "X" volts across the secondary
coil.

        I've never heard of an auto-transformer before. Basically,
it's a physical fact that any transformer that works by induction
(basically any transformer, or so I thought) has it's secondary floating
with respect to the primary -- put another way, because a transformer is
an AC device, there can be any DC offset present between the primary and
secondary and things still work. I'm not sure why any transformer would
have its primary and secondary windings connected together, but, like I
said, I've never heard of an auto-transformer before, so it's quite
possible that's what's happening there.

Joe