Re: Another reason to build an X/Y monitor(s)

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 23:21:56 EDT

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:34:29 -0700 (PDT), Neil Bradley <nb@synthcom.com> wrote:

>> > Not designed for Windows - DOS drivers will be provided. Besides, who
>> > needs Windows to run a vector monitor? ;-)
>> Actually, the board itself does not; but the program I am using to
>> drive it does! Any program can drive it that can put pixels on the
>> screen....and has to support 24/32 bit mode for tech reasons (DOS may
>> work in 256 mode)...oh, and you also can only use ONE type of video
>> card for some reason?!
>
>I'm totally confused by this paragraph. Perhaps a bit of perspective is
>needed, here.

I think the confusion is that Aaron is talking about his own VG.

Hey Aaron,

Out of curiosity I've been trying to put together just how your Vector Generator
works.

>From the best I can tell from previous posts, you've hooked DACs onto one of
those extended function connectors on the old VGA (EGA?) boards, and you've then
place patterns in video memory that your hardware latches on, sending a stream
of bytes to the DACs. This allows for automatic refreshing of the display
(kinda nice).

How did I do?

-Zonn