Re: Another reason to build an X/Y monitor(s)

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 02:06:24 EDT

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:18:56 -0700, "Aaron Howald" <ahowald@w-link.net> wrote:

>This version I'm doing now does NOT have any buffer on it, so timing is critical...maybe will add
>later
>if a real problem. (V and H blank) I want to do vector art! (test pix soon!)

The VG I'm working on is essentially a very fancy vector timer. It also has
limited buffering (256 bytes so that I don't have to bother with the carry).

The speeds needed for generating the vectors are really fast. I couldn't find
an off the shelf CPU that had a timer that could be configured for the speed and
versatility needed to time the vector draws. I ended up using a satellite CPU
programmed to be nothing but a vector timer. This also allows the main
processor to handle I/O, etc., while the current vector is being drawn.

>BTW, i can't believe I asked what the baud rate of a parallel port was-it was late...

I took it to mean "What's your transfer rate?". :-)

-Zonn