Re: Cinematronics/Vectorbeam Monitor repair mini-doc!

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 00:58:31 EDT

Testing the Vector monitors with the yoke unplugged is like running an
audio amp with the speakers unplugged. No load means little if any risk to
the output devices if there is no input.

If you have a scope you can hook it up across the yoke lines to see the
results, if not, use a 15 watt 115VAC light bulb...the bulb will glow
brighter (if no input to the monitor) if one of the output transistors is
shorted. The bulb will not pass much current (whats 15/115V = X/60V? about
7 watts or 100MA - please check my math, but it is pretty low current!) -
need my ohm's wheel to figure that out..

I've used the light bulb test on my servicing of jukebox audio amps over
the years (25) and no damage to output transistors, you can check that the
amp is set up correctly and the lamp gives an instant indication of
problems...with no smoke!

John :-#)#