Re: ZVG: new game possibilities

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 16:10:48 EDT

>As for abandoning vector for more "advanced" display platforms, I have a
>different set of priorities. The computer and game industries have always
>been hell-bent on being more more MORE realistic, but, for me, early
>graphics systems' abstract renderings are much more evocative. I assume my
>fellow Battlezone fans on this list can relate.

Oh, I agree 10000% :-)

I despise the way that current games HAVE to be as realistic as possible -
for me this takes away the 'fun' aspect as you're too immersed in the game
to enjoy it properly, if you see what I mean. It also 'dumbs down' the
games to the extent that little or no imagination is required to play them
- the graphics in the old vector games and of course many rasters were
relatively simple (by necessity due to hardware limitations) but this not
only forced the game designers to be imaginative, but the players too.
Vector games have the advantage of not only being very simplistic, but
beautiful at the same time.

>The movie TRON's visuals have held up very well on the "cool" scale. I
>believe that's because they create their own reality instead of trying to
>reproduce our own.

No doubt about it at all.

>It's like when painters in the 1800s tired of being human cameras and
>began painting their "impression" of scenes.

Again, I agree 10000%. As with many things today, there seems to be very
little variety. We are 'force fed' what appeals to the lowest common
denominator.

Anyway, I guess this is all wildly irrelevant to the list and someone will
be along to have a good moan in a minute, so if anyone wants to continue
this line of discussion then either email me or maybe start a new topic in
RGVAC.

Phil