Re[3]: HV transformers - help!

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 11:59:07 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: John Robertson <pinball@telus.net>
To: vectorlist@synthcom.com, vectorlist@synthcom.com
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:04:08 -0700
Subject: Re[2]: VECTOR: HV transformers - help!

> Ah, well, my point is that a universal unit might not be as useful as a
> unit designed for a WG. There are probably more dead WG colour XY HV's out
> there than the GO8's, and if I have a half dozen or so GO8 units that I
> shall be fixing up for sale, then don't waste time on it, rather get the WG
> HV done and out there for folks.
>
> I don't think a universal unit would be cost effective as the voltages
> needed to run the GO8 are quite different than the WG, and the WG can also
> power an Ampliphone quite easily, where the GO8 HV is unique to just that
> monitor.

they are not so different,

WG6100:

19.5KV
180v

amplifone:

19.5KV
180v
6.3v

G08:

22.5KV
6.3v

so WG monitors supply the heater from somewhere else, and G08 gets it's B+ from another source.
other than that the voltages are pretty much the same.
reducing the 22.5KV line to 19.5KV would reduce the heater to 5.48v - would that cause a problem???
reduced B+ output is unimportant because the G08 wont use it.

as i said originally - fuck the X/Y shutdown circuit, better to implement a spot-killer ciruit into the main deflection pcb even if you dont replace the HV unit.

the most interesting solution would be to ONLY use the transformer for the HV and to get the 180v and the heater drive from another source,
then you could use ANY transformer you had lying around.

L8r.