TECH: More on the G05-805 blooming problems

From: Commander Dave <cmdr-dave_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:13:44 EDT

Greetings all,

I finally got a HV probe and took some measurements of the HV on the G05-805 in the Battlezone. With the old H1809 diode in place, the HV is about normal (13 KV or so if I remember correctly - I remember it was the same as the manual), but then drops lower (about 10 KV) as the monitor warms up and blooms. As expected, a shot of freeze spray to the diode almost totally restores the HV.

When I put in the H1812 as a test, the voltage never goes above about 10 KV and drops to about 8.5 KV or less as it warms and blooms (a lot).

I still think that I blew both diodes, but don't know for sure. And the sad part? Remember all those 70+ H1812 diodes I sold? I over sold and don't have any left (or perhaps I lost the last one)! Ah, well... such is life I guess. Sigh!

Guess I will put in an order for some more H1812's along with some H1809's and sell the excess (again). Hopefully this will finally cure my monitor problem as I know now to be very careful when discharging a vector monitor.

Just had to ramble a bit...
-Commander Dave