TECH: Battlezone G05-805 monitor - still having problems

From: Commander Dave <cmdr-dave_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 15:59:08 EDT

Hello all,

Yes, these are the postings that never end. I am getting so disgusted with this G05-805. I was able to get a working HV diode and the problem of shaking and blooming still shows up. When powered up totally cold, the HV is fine, maybe even a little over. The image on the monitor,however, has a very small case of the shakes and as it warms up the HV (about 5 minutes or less), the image starts to expand and the HV starts to drop. It was down to 10.8 KV when I got disgusted, cut the power and left.

I have:

Tried different game and aux board sets (same problem)
cleaned and resoldered connectors on the monitor
cleaned and resoldered the flyback
Replaced the HV diode (twice to be sure) and tightened connections
Installed a cap kit with transistors (from Bob Roberts)]
Freeze sprayed many components in the HV cage with no results

Obviously, I have missed something somewhere and I am almost sure it is the obvious. I am about to start at square one and start measuring, rechecking and reverifing things I am taking for granted is working. I am so tired of working on this problem and it's starting to get in the way of other projects.

I'll do my homework again and try to make a logical plan of attack, but can anyone let me know what would be good list of thingsto start checking first? The high voltages I have done, but what other voltages do I need to check? I'm starting over so what other "DUH" type things do I need to check again? Oh, and I am afraid that I don't have an O-scope, so I tests will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get this thing fixed one of these days if I don't hit it with a 2x4 first! ;-)

-Commander Dave