Re: Sega G80 CPU board question

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 21:59:28 EST

Curtis,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <vector@hawkmountain.net>
To: <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 9:42 PM
Subject: VECTOR: Sega G80 CPU board question

> I have a Sega G80 CPU board that I do not know what game it is from.
>
> I had hoped to identify it by the sega part number on the security chip
> however the security chip on this board isn't silk screened with a sega
> part number ! It looks like it might have had a sticker on it at some
> point indicating it's #....

I've looked at 100+ CPU boards, and every one of them that had a round
yellow sticker over the security chip was for Eliminator 2-player. Other
than that, I've never seen any other types of stickers on the security
chips.

> The only other thing unusual about this board is EVERY chip has a socket.
> And it appears to have been made that way from Sega ! There are a
> few caps and some wires changes made on the back side of this board.

The wire mod on the back is fairly typical (about 50% of the time).

> Beyond trying the security chip in a working Star Trek and Space Fury
> set I have, how else can I identy it ?

About the only thing that will tell you is its not 315-0064, but will not
tell you if it's one of the other 4 or 5.

> Or can it even be identified
> at this pint ? It is possible it could be from a vector or raster game.
>
> Has anyone ever seen a Sega G80 CPU board with ALL chips socketed
> (high quality sockets too.. not the std black ones but blue ones that
> rise up on the outside edges of the chips).

Nope, and if I had, I'd have thrown it away :-). However, every so often
I'll see a board where a large portion of the chips (like a block or row)
have been socked...usually on the XY pair or the Universal sound board.

> Also, while I'm at it... anyone got extra security chips for Eliminator,
> Tac/Scan, and Zektor ???

I have all of them except Zektor, and you can pick one up in 10 minutes if
you win the Monster Bash auction on ebay...
Let me know what you need.

If anyone needs anything Sega G80 related, feel free to ask.

--
Mark Jenison