Re: Tempest boards playing blind (and worse)...help!

From: Travis Shire <boardjunkie_at_techie.com>
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 19:55:30 EST

VoSsy VoS!!!

With the one drawing crazy lines I'd start with the dac's, one or the other (or both for that matter) is probably bad. The one with no video kicking the spot killer should be a bad op amp in the output section. Check with a meter on each axis' test loop to see if its stuck (they should normally fluctuate as the pix is drawn).
Follow the schem to see where you get a good input to an op amp stage and a stuck output.

Shouldn't be much of a problem to get them both back in action again.

Laterz
Travis

Hey guys, I was unconverting my MH last night to sell as a Tempest...got one of my dead Tempest boards going and popped it in.  Machine is working great.  Figured while I was at it, I should try to get some others going.  I've got two sets that play fine blind, but no video (spot killer on)...have another that plays blind, but draws a few crazy random vectors, with the spot killer going on and off rapidly.  Monitor sounds like hell during this, so I only ran it a few seconds.

Any suggestions on where to start?  This is the first time I've delved into anything more than bad solder joints at the interconnect, as far as Tempest boards go.

Thanks,
Richard