Re: Vector's are hard to fix ? HA!

From: <Amplifone_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 22:31:23 EST

well, we're getting off topic here.. but.

In a message dated 2/10/03 7:30:56 PM, highwayman2000@mail.ru writes:
> > Next person who says that is going to get . . .
> >
> > I'm fixing my first raster monitor -- a G07, and it comes time to check
> the
> > chasis mounted transistors.  Bob Robert's tips page has all this talk
> about
> > soldering on them, and I'm saying to myself "Why is anyone resoldering on
> > the socket. I mean, T03 transistors are socketed, right ?"
> >
> > Great Mother of Zeus -- they solder wires right on the transistors ! NO
> > SOCKETS !!!!
> > Oh give me my vector monitors with nice clean plugs, sockets, etc, any
> day.

well, there are only 2 of them to be reckoned with, and the power reg doesn't
fail that often. 2 wires to solder ain't bad.

> > PS -- anyone who knows why a G07 would be blowing the 1.25 amp fuse when
> the
> > chasis transistors are NOT shorted to ground, the heater coil isn't
> shorted
> > to ground, and the flyback isn't cracked, I'm open to suggestions at this
> > point.

G07s are actually pretty easy to fix.. if its blowing the 1.25 a fuse the
problem is going to be a bad HOT or flyback most of the time. I've fixed 30
or 40 of them in the past couple years and I've only seen 1 or 2 bad vertical
transistors and the occasional shorted b+ reg (X04).

> >if it was easy i would say isolate B+ and load it with a 40W 240v
> lamp-bulb,
> >of course being a G07 it is not easy, so maybe you will need to cut a
> track.
> >if you have a japanese copy then they (being smart) added a link you can
> lift to isolate the B+ line!
> >with B+ isolated and loaded you can check the regulator is running and
> ajust it for 120v.
> >if you get this far then ring the LOPT and suspect any secondary diodes.

b+ runs through the 1.25A fuse. If the fuse is out the b+ is isolated.. easy
enough. the G07 is a Victor (JVC) chassis, Electrohome just bought it.

Its really not necessary to go to all the trouble.. To fix a G07 I toss the
usual monitor troubleshooting techniques out the window. basically to fix a
g07 you first check the fuses, all the transistors, the 2 fusable resistors,
the HOT and I ohm out the flyback to make sure it doesn't seem shorted or
open... reflow solder where necessary. All of those tests takes about 2
minutes. If everything seems to check out (it usually will) and the b+ fuse
is blown (it usually is) I add a remote fuse holder, change out c511 (or
replace all the caps) & turn the b+ control to the halfway point. If all I
replaced was the HOT and the flyback seems to look ok I'll give it the smoke
test... If it blows I replace the flyback. At this point the monitor is
usually working so I adjust the b+ to 120v..

After working on g07s I've found the smoke test really is the quickest way to
fix them.. all it costs you is a fuse, I don't recall the last time I lost a
just-replaced HOT... Its not elegant but it works and fixes them 90% of the
time, fast. No trace cutting, no lightbulbs, no ringers, no variacs... It
works so well that most of the time I'll go ahead and cap the chassis first,
then do the rest.. C511 is a troublemaker and if it is original you should at
least replace that cap before working on a chassis...

If you have a few to work on buy your own caps and HOTs.. and definatly
keep a few flybacks and horiz width coils handy as well. I dunno what the
guys like bob roberts sell, but there are a handful of HOTs that will work in
the G07.. I usually use 2SD869 or 2SD870.

> >let me know the progress, my repair ratio of G07s to vector stuff is about
> 20/1.
> >Btw. in about the last 20 years i have NEVER seen a G07 transformer
> fail!!!!

I can tell you're not working on too many of them then :) Ive had at least 6
or 7 bad flybacks in the past year, a good number of them have visible
scars or are cracked in half.

to give this post some vectory goodness:

somebody sell me a roller controller and MH ded CPO please.. anybody have any
repros of either left over?

Has there been any talk of side art repro? I just picked up a really nice
ded cab at the NJ auction. The op was obviously meticulous about his games..
it was completely gutted, even the side art was peeled off.

..and tom, I'll remember to get the check out. I swear! :)

Jeff