Re: Quad-Bit Slicers - Getting our facts right...

From: <ygroups_at_andora.org.uk>
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 14:33:09 EST

Hi Guys/Gals...

The Atari AUX board/Maths Board, can use AM2901 bit-slice processors. Each
device can process 4 bits. There are four of these devices/chips on each
board. therefore, the board can process 16 bit numbers, which is what it
does.

Atari call these devices elusively "Transistor Arrays" - but they are
really these 4-bits per chip slice-processors. Each device is
interchangeable, you can swap any of them around on the board.

They are not 1 bit-slice processors, neither are the Atari chips
equivalent to to 4 x AM2901s. One 137004 is equivalent to one AM2901.

Hope this helps, there seems to be a lot of confusion over these
devices!!!

PS: These chips get hot, so faster 2901's the better and if you want to
protect your ageing game, suggest you consider heatsinking them.

Tony Jones <tony@tonyjones.com>
Sent by: owner-vectorlist@synthcom.com
12/02/03 17:43
Please respond to vectorlist