Re: Pictures of your Star Wars

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 19:46:11 EST

I made a little bit of progress today. It occured to me to hook up my ZVG
to the Amplifone, while running Star Wars to help me determine if the Star
Wars boardset might actually be at fault. I thought everything looked good
on the scope, but I realized that the level of detail I was looking for
might not really show up on a 4"x4" scope display, so I gave the ZVG a try.
Interestingly enough, the image from the ZVG looks fantastic. All of the
text is crisp, without a squiggly line to be seen. This would indicate that
the Star Wars boardset itself is generating noisy data. So, I need to go
back to the scope to see if I look carefully enough, whether or not the
noise is visible in the output. On the surface it would appear that the
problem really is with the boardset, but I'd like to see confirmation on the
scope.

Given the nature of the problem as it looks now, it sounds more and more
like bad capacitors on the vector generator board somewhere after the dacs.
If someone has a good candidate, send it along. I'll get out the schematics
and give it my best shot, too. Any other ideas are welcome!

Joel-