Re: BZ > RB conversions...possible kit??

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 23:27:10 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2003 9:57:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, tomm@mgcap.com
writes:

> So Michael, are you saying you converted a Battlezone PCB to run Red
> Baron?
>

> tm

     I have done this with several AVG's: Add 2532 hack for H1 rom: pin 18
to AB12, pin 19 to AB10, pin 20 to /ROM1 (chip select), which is L2 (74LS32)
pin 8, pin 21 to +5V. Replace game roms (2716's) A3, B/C3, E1, H1, J1, K1,
L/M1, N1 with RB 2716's, and install RB 2532 @ location H1 with above hack.
Prom 36408 @ K7 stays the same as BZ.
     This is not too tough, in fact, I can't believe that the factory RB
AVG's just did this instead of modifying the AVG to use jumpers to accept the
2532 @ H1....
     The first time I saw a stock RB AVG (a long time ago), I thought "Wow,
look at the meatball surgery on this BZ AVG board! I wonder if it works..."
     I was guessing that some tech replaced a BZ 2716 or 2516 @ H1 with a
2532 loaded with the BZ H1 code, because they didn't have a spare 2716 to
replace a deffective BZ H1 rom. So much for my rambling about the AVG..
     HOWEVER, I can see no way to easily hack the Aux board of a BZ to work
as a RB Aux board. You've got about 7 extra chips plus the novram. You would
defiantely need a daughtercard to modify a BZ aux board for RB.
     I'm sure Clay as well as Steve Gregory have thought about this
conversion. But, I don't know if a conversion kit would be worth their time.
How many people who have working BZ's have extra CP's to hack to add a flight
stick, or would want to make their own CP?? Also, don't forget about the
harness mods...
     Better yet, how many people would be as goofy as me - spend forever
making a nice panel, and then spend a bundle on a killer Happ flight stick?
Aside from this, how many actual Atari RB sticks (which probably need totally
rebuilt) are still out there to even use?
     I really like Red Baron, but I know alot of BZ fans that don't like it
as much as BZ...I just don't think there is a market for a BZ>RB kit...Sorry
for the long post...

MK