RE: A little ZVG (and ZVT) update

From: Hood, Eric <Eric.Hood_at_Maritz.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:31:25 EST

Is there a way, or are there plans for such, to be able to emulate the
ZVG hardware and its video output on the PC? Ideally, to develop a game
using the ZVG, I'd like to program/test/play/debug w/out having to hook
it up to a vector monitor to see anything.

I don't know how practical this would be, but what I envision is somehow
someone pulls the vector/graphics video emulation out of MAME into a
separate component w/ a nice external interface that would allow it to
be used by other programs. (I personally think this would be the
hardest part, and I'm thinking out of my reach...)

Then to have another component built to emulate the ZVG's interface that
would translate the commands into the above MAME component.

Then one last utility component that would manage the
initialization/shutdown of the ZVG environment, whether developmental or
real, maybe w/ a flag choosing between the emulated ZVG or the real
thing.

Then, w/ the help of a demo app showing how to use the above component
object, along w/ examples of how to make use of each of the ZVG
commands, it'd be rather easy for people to develop for the ZVG. Plus,
I think it'd make it easier for people to develop libraries of more
complicated mathematical graphics.

I'd like to hear people's comments. Is this a good idea?

Plus, on a different note: How does the ZVG handle the PC's bootup
process? Does it keep the beam off at startup until a command begins to
drive it? Or have you given it an ability to display a startup image
until ready?

--Eric